Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Consumptive Glow. Inevitability. Tiny Lungfuls.

I think I understand the addiction now.

Rough scratch, tiny plume of light. Delicate maneuvering as I touch it to the tip. Lightly, lightly. Feel, follow the consumptive glow all the way through my throat and lungs. Imagine plumes of ash. Billowing black settling, stifling the swelling red.

She's right when she says that this thing will kill me. They all are. It got my grandfather years before my birth was anything more than the daydreaming of a teenaged girl. But here's the dirty little secret that millions in taxpayers' money has tried to hide from me:

The inevitability is part of the charm.

Tiny lungfuls of self-destruction. They shouldn't taste so good.

I'll try to be entertaining some other time. When I'm in a more entertaining mood.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

word.

i control my death.

10:14 PM  
Blogger d. said...

addiction terrifies me. and the worst addiction is dependency. on people.

(dangerous)because they're alive.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eric,
Sorry i pseudo-stalked you (i really was just following one of Kathy's ever-tempting links) but you're title, "Cultural Snow" - did you get that from Murakami?
Um just tell me next time you see me i guess

?
oh yeah and thanks for coming last night. hope you had fun ;]

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric Chao, you are awesome!
....but not as awesome as stuffed Jesus pizza.

<3 your creepy stalker-person

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home